Saturday, June 18, 2011

Learning Thai

  
A fun and useful website I've been using is Manee and Friends. Thanik says when he was in elementary these books were used, but have since been discontinued. As the lessons progress on this site, some of the tests are all in Thai, which is a wonderful challenge. Aside from this and the notes I still have from my lessons with Mo and Kim (friends of our's), Thanik's dad sent me a few books, such as a Thai-English dictionary.
ขอบคุณมากคุณพ่อค่ะ !!


 This picture is from Oct. 2010. Thanik is really concentrating. (pardon the blurry quality)


It's important to have fun when learning a new language otherwise it'll be difficult to even retain---the alphabet. I consider myself lucky when it comes to the amount of consonants and vowels Thai has compared to Japanese, which my sister, Amanda, is learning. She has to learn kanji, hiragana and katakana, as far as I know.
Hmm, I think Amanda will be my translator in Japan and I'll be hers in Thailand. Ya, I think that's fair.

Sushi and Pad Thai
 These two dishes my sister and I shared at a Japanese restaurant. The sushi was pretty good, but the pad Thai did not taste like authentic pad Thai. It was sweet rather than spicy. Sad, no?


Taking voice lessons in high school and college has also helped me learn Thai quicker, especially the tones. Often I can catch the tone right away, which is a great feeling. The Thai language has five tones.
Living in an English speaking country makes it challenging to immerse myself with Thai [of course]. The best way for anyone to learn a language would be to visit or live in the country it is spoken.

Until I can visit Thailand, I will certainly continue to learn new words and wait to put it all together in a conversation once there. The way I think of sentence structure in Thai, I see it as speaking like Yoda.



Tattoo Colour, one of my favorite Thai bands.

I am initially drawn to a language by the sound of it. Thai for me has a unique playful quality to it. So, if a language sounds harsh, for example, then I will likely not be interested to learn it. Think of it like music; if you prefer 'soft' music, then the chance of liking hard rock music may be slim.
What languages are you trying or wanting to learn? I'd love to know.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment