Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beauty Tips: Sunscreen

I am not a professional on this topic by any means, but I think what I have learned is quite useful and has its own weight to it. 

I didn't really know anything about taking proper care of my skin until, oh, a year and a half ago. My mom did tell me that I should wear sunscreen outside so I don't burn. You may have seen from previous posts that I am a fair skinned redhead, so I burn easily. Regardless, I rarely wore sunscreen. Reasons: too lazy, forgot, that sort of nonsense. Lucky for me, I don't like to be out in the sun much anyway, so I can still be compared to Casper, haha.

Too much tanning, and you may look like this. Not really what someone is aiming for, right?

A lot of women and men want to look younger. That's cool, I'm for it too, but what I don't get is the fascination with tanning. Don't get me wrong, if that's the look you like go for it, but if you're trying to look young, tanning is quite counterproductive. Tanning ages you and is certainly harmful to your skin. With too much sun you can get skin cancer, sunburn, and/or sun poisoning. I'll take a rain check on those items, thank you. 

If you're naturally pale, why would you want to be as dark as your hair? I just encourage people to take care of themselves. (Please focus on the message not just her chest people.)

TIPS:

1)  Apply sunscreen 20-30 minutes BEFORE you go outside to allow the sunscreen to absorb properly. Don't be stingy either folks with how much you use and don't forget behind the ears, back of the knees, lips, etc. In addition, if you're outside for long periods, reapply every two hours.

2)  "I won't tan if I wear sunscreen." WRONG. Sunscreen protects you yes, but it cannot block all the UVA and UVB rays. Thus, wear sunscreen, but don't spend too much time in the sun.

3) For minimal sun exposure like walking to your car SPF 15 is fine.
Extended sun exposure like playing sports, use SPF 30.
For fair skinned people particularly redheads, SPF 50 is your friend.

4)  If you can, avoid sun peak hours between 10a.m. and 4p.m.
Tying in with this, a cloudy day does not mean you can skip sunscreen.

5)  Sunscreen shelf life is around 3 years. If you've had the same bottle for three years, clearly you don't use it enough.

6)  A sheer top will not protect you, the rays still penetrate so wear sunscreen underneath, mkay.

7)  Make it easier, add sunscreen to your morning beauty routine. After washing your face, moisturizing, all of that goodness, apply sunscreen at the end.

If you're already 30 and tan, you shouldn't think, "Well, it's too late now and can't get any worse." On the contrary, protect yourself from further damage. You only have one body, so why not take care of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment