Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shopping - How to Save Money

I have a handful of rules that I go by when it comes to shopping. I hope these rules may come in handy for you.
The tips are in no particular order, so perhaps ignore the numbering.

TIPS:

1)  If you don't love it, don't buy it
I've followed this notion for many years and I've stuck to it at least 98% of the time, haha. I have always preferred to save my money, and this guideline helps a lot for me. Plus, I'd rather not waste money on a pair of shoes or shirt that I will only wear a handful of times before getting rid of it. 

2)  Know your budget and stick to it.
If you are on a budget, no matter how big or small, don't cause yourself needless worry/regret down the line by buying too many items, causing you to spend more than you can/should. You may love those sparkly shoes now, but remember that their will always be other sparkly shoes in the future.


 Don't get me wrong I love shoes like any woman, but this is far too many.

  
3)  Don't shop 'just because.'
I am not saying that you can not shop for fun. What I mean is don't make shopping such a habit that
you end up shopping every week; that can really add up, ya. To give you an idea, the main time I shop is when I'm wanting to update my wardrobe, which isn't often (perhaps 3 or 4 times a year). As well, when I do shop for fun, I don't do it often likewise. Mm, at the same time when shopping for fun, I ask myself questions like:
"Do I need this?"    
"Do I love this or just like it?"     
"Can I wear this with the clothes I already have?"


I love clothes, shoes and a nice space to put them in, but if you need a closet like this, perhaps scale back a bit. But that is my instinct.
 

4)  Self restraint
This may come easily or hard, depending on how you are. I have taken this into practice over
the years and even my husband agrees that I'm good at restraining myself from buying something, whatever the reason. I think this tip really envelops tips 1-3 already, if that makes sense. So I don't think this tip needs further explanation, it speaks for itself. 


 ...Not enough variety for me.
  
 
5)  Avoid buying exact replicas.
I can understand getting 3 layering tank-tops of the same style in three different colors. You can get great use out of them and create many varying outfits. What I don't get is having 7 pairs of dark denim jeans that look freakishly similar or 5 lace dresses with little variation in style. After all, if you're wanting to add variety to your wardrobe, that's not the way to go, mhmm.
I think these 5 tips are a great start. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!
How do you save money when shopping?

(All pictures provided by weheartit.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment