Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Dash of Yoshida & a Sprinkle of Sa Ding Ding




I tend to have a soft spot for traditional (of many countries) music with a "modern" twist. Of the relatively few Japanese (suggestions, please and thank you) artists that I listen to the Yoshida Brothers is a favored option. I'm no professional judge of how well they play the traditional instrument shamisen, but I'd say they are pure awesome. They're very good in switching up the style in which they play, or in other words it doesn't sound like they're playing the same song every time. I think their style of music allows a nice transition between modern and traditional---if that makes sense. Or at least give their audience the opportunity to appreciate traditional instruments. Perhaps surprisingly not all of their songs are without vocals, again showing their range in music style.

I've only been to two concerts thus far in my life, so I think I'm overdue to attend and show my support to music in general. So, Mr. Yoshida Brothers, you can (hopefully) expect this redhead to rock out to your music in the future....at a concert, just so we're clear. 




Another artist I think everyone and their mother should know about is the talented and beautiful Sa Ding Ding. 




Sa Ding Ding is a traditional Chinese folk singer and songwriter whom I believe is unfortunately not well known. Well phewy to that, she is awesome. Her music is very enchanting and you'll be quite jealous of what she can do with her voice. My sister told me that much of her music is influenced by her, hmm, shall I say religious ways? Or perhaps spiritual ways. For me at least, her music is uplifting. I wish more of her videos were available because her choice of costuming, so to speak, is rather fascinatingly beautiful. She tends to choose pieces that are very representative of her culture. Right on.

Chinese music is another area that I know very little about and perhaps know only a small handful of artists. Any suggestions?






It's sharing time: who are some of your favorite traditional (or modern-ish) musicians? Who puts the spring in your musical step. 

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of them before. Very nice introduction though.

    www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These videos are amazing, I love them, thank you for sharing.


    You have a really cool blog here. Do you want to follow each other, I would love that.
    Tereza
    http://drastic-plastic-fantastic-plastic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Girlie Blogger
    Thank you. =) I hope to help introduce more musicians in the future.

    @ Tereza
    You're welcome, I'm glad you like them! And thank you for you kind compliment. I checked out your blog and it is lovely, consider me a follower.

    ReplyDelete