Thursday, February 9, 2012

Entertainment :: Technology or Old School


I ask you ladies and gents, what has happened to kids today? When I was a young lass, I would play outside, make up games, get together with the neighborhood kids and play till my parents called me in. Now it seems technology has replaced "old time" entertainment. Maybe I'm just exaggerating it in my pretty little head. Still, I've seen little tykes not even in the double digits of age, playing hand held video games and messing around on their parents (I hope) phones. Without risking this seeming like a potential rant of some degree, let me direct this to another simple question--or maybe two. 

What did you do for fun as a kid? 
And secondly, what do you do for fun/entertainment now? 


A simple, but fun game that the hubby introduced me to. I believe I've only lost once--not bragging of course.


I used to be such a book worm when I was younger. As mentioned in my resolutions, I'm doing my best to get back into the habit of reading more often. Ahhh, learning.


Over the years I've off and on attempted to keep a journal. Just recently I'm making another attempt, surely hoping I will successfully keep up with it. For me at least, I think it's important to document the events, big and small, things that go on in my life. Plus, I think it may be a laugh to read what I wrote now, in the future. To think, "Oh how silly I was back then."



A little over a year ago I taught myself to knit. Not just grandma's can do this thing ya know, just so we're clear. It's very relaxing and fun, well, of course once you get the hang of it.


As an example of using my imagination, when I was lass I wanted to be a centaur; my mermaid faze came a bit later. Perhaps being influenced by this picture, but I think being blue too would be an awesome bonus.


Ahh, I miss playing hide and seek. In my childhood neighborhood, many of us kids loved to play this game at night, often using the length of an entire street to play (if that makes sense). Good times.

I'm sure I could go on for ages with this list...Thanks for reading! Don't forget to share your stories, I'd love to know. 


(Pics by weheartit.com)

2 comments:

  1. the way kids have fun has certainly changed. for my daughter, i still prefer that she plays outside and make up games. it's better for them that way, without all that technology.

    unfortunately, i spend more time on the lap top now :O(

    by the way, good suggestion putting keywords in blog titles. I do that too and it really helps. "Brad Pitt" is obviously a very popular search term :O)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I've even heard it's best to not allow your child to watch TV until age three. I know I'll follow this advice for my own little one. Plus, when they're so young, it's especially important to bond with your child.
    Ah, it's the truth for me too, but recently I've been improving on it, meaning not spending as much time on my laptop.
    Thanks, and I hope your weekend was lovely. =)

    ReplyDelete