Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Drama Weekly :: Ohitorisama (J-Drama)


 (Source)


What a relief it was to find this overall light hearted drama. I tend to lean towards the more 'serious' dramas and the sort of half serious half comedy. Sometimes though, I need a break from all that who's your momma and just tell him how you feel!!! heartache. Ohitorisama (watch it here) has a nice blend of a sprinkle of slap-stick comedy, a nice [big] dollop of comedy that won't grind your gears and some serious-ish (yet not really) moments that won't make your emotions go up and down like a yo-yo.
I don't always want to spoil a drama for those who have not seen the shows I review, so allow me to try and be as cryptic as possible. 



(Source)


I know I'm supposed to be selling this in such a manner as: "Watch this, it is super wonderful (insert sparkles and confetti)!" but as much as I really enjoyed each character, the relationships that happen throughout are a tad hard to accept.

I take that back, I did not enjoy every character. It's easy to choose my least favorite character, that being Sawai Kimika played by Matsushita Nao. I give her props though for making me dislike her. She managed to evoke some emotion out of me, so I see that as a sign of a good actress. She plays the sort of determined woman that makes you feel uncomfortable. She's like a cat forcing a mouse into a corner and you're desperate for someone to snap her out of her delusional state. 

It's true that the relationships that happen are a bit of a head scratch, a sort of, "Really?" For all hopeless romantics out there, this may make your sunshine day a little cloudy.

(Source)


One theme that never fails whether it's a Korean drama or Japanese, is the lack of communication. Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's part of the culture; Japan is very much about harmony, keeping the peace, having great respect for those around them and so on. Still, good-googly-moogly the amount of miscommunication that could be avoided if characters were a little more open is astounding. 

Because of people not being honest with each other, the drama does drag a little. If the characters were straight forward, then this drama could be cut down to possibly 8 episodes instead of 10. Alas, what would a J-drama be without it's, well, unnecessary drama? For those who are new to J & K dramas, you should expect the irritation of characters not getting to the point. I suppose it's a love-hate relationship.



(Source)


Since I'm not wanting to give away much information I'll conclude it here. Quick recap: this is a light hearted drama that perhaps is geared towards those that are familiar with J-Dramas. If you're new to the game, then this may not be your cup-a-joe and you may find it hard to like some of the characters and scenarios. 
I myself am not in love with this drama, but I was glad for a change. It's a drama you can watch without attachment and just enjoy the silly-ness of it. In particular, the fact that the male lead is shorter than his potential love interest.

You may also enjoy the previous review of the Korean drama Coffee Prince

No comments:

Post a Comment