Tuesday, July 31, 2012

B.A.P. "No Mercy" Review




B.A.P., I think I love you more and more as time goes by. 
Right off the bat I wasn't fully in love with No Mercy. It took me [specifically] three listens for me to think, "Oh yeah, oh yeah this awesome." With Warrior and Power I was expecting a tune just as "I'll kick your bum" kind of vibe. No Mercy has a sprinkle of it, but more so "I'm a baller" and "Can't touch this" sort of flare.




I'm completely impressed with their choreography as usual. Any previous rap-type videos I've seen generally have the artist(s) doing random hand movements and shuffling awkwardly. I can let it slide because how do you dance in any suave manner to rap? I was glad to see that during the rap sequences in this video, they had a little somethin' planned out. I found it satisfying.

You can not miss their crotch grab dance move, am I right? It exudes confidence. Oh the memories of their bum slaps from Power. Although let's ignore the fact of how young Zelo is, mkay?
Anywho. I've expressed it before, but I love how confident, strong and powerful this group is. Most Korean male groups have a Sexy Heeyyy (thank you Simon and Martina) or cutie vibe to them, so I find B.A.P. to be a nice change.




Can I borrow your clothes, boys? Well thanks, I appreciate it.
I'm not sure of the attraction, but the ensemble Jongup is wearing in the image above, which is clearer in the video, is just--cool. I'm not sure if it's shorts worn over skinnies, but I dig the combo. I loved their outfits for Power too, which was completely fitting. Who wouldn't feel like a bad as* wearing torn up army gear? 


The baggy jumpsuits, if that is their proper name, look super comfy and only they can pull it off with their confident attitudes.




I know not everyone may be thrilled with the singing mixed with the rap. Perhaps some of the singing isn't hard edge enough? I will admit the singing particularly by Daehyun seems a little out of place in comparison, but I still have a soft spot for it. I would not change it. Likewise, I think they did a really good job blending rock, rap, hip-hop, beautiful singing moments, electronic elements aaaand the traditional Korean la musica. 
Some K-pop groups don't always blend their sounds nicely, for instance when they try to combine singing/harmonies, random rap sequences and the still popular dub-step breakdowns. The sudden switches are often jarring.


 


This rookie group continues to impress me. They never fail to give me energy and feel like a bad as* myself. I see them sticking around for many years to come.
What rookie group would you like to give a gold star to?



(Images, top to bottom: One, Two, Three, Four, Five)

No comments:

Post a Comment