Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentines Day in Thailand



Roses are red
Violet's are blue
Honey is sweet
And so are you

That was the child's version. Now for the original/grown up version.

The rose is red, the violet's blue,
The honey's sweet, and so are you.
Thou art my love and I am thine;
I drew thee to my Valentine:
The lot was cast and then I drew,
And Fortune said it shou'd be you.

"St. Valentine's Day began as a liturgical celebration of one or more early Christian saints named Valentinus."
Not all countries that celebrate Valentine's Day are [for the most part] Christian, like France who is mostly Catholic. In any case, Valentine's day is largely a western holiday, celebrated in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, U.K., France and Australia.
I feel like most holiday's never originate the way we think, often the opposite. It seems Valentine's Day is the same.





 "The celebration of Saint Valentine did not have any romantic connotations until Chaucer's poetry about "Valentines" in the 14th century."  
Well thanks Geoffrey.








I personally don't rank Valentine's Day high on my chart because I'm all for celebrating and showing my love for my husband everyday. He thinks the same way, hazza! 
Well that's all nice and dandy, but what is Valentine's Day like in Thailand you wonder? Let me sum it up for you: it's a western holiday that is popular among only the young crowd. Oh, you want a little more substance? Okay okay.


As mentioned, the holiday is only popular among high school and college age for the most part. Any older crowds don't particularly give a hoot. 
When my husband was younger and did give the holiday some credit, for one special lady he bought a 5 foot teddy bear. Wow. As potentially awesome as that sounds, I'm happy with my personal teddy bear, the hubby. Aw, sweet moment there guys.

Popular Gifts: 




Just the teddy bear, not the adorable animals, just so we're clear.




Gifts common in the US are equally common in Thailand.
The selling of these gifts differ on one aspect. For whatever reason, the US loves to sell holiday paraphernalia many weeks sometimes months, plural, early. Valentine's Day items pop up usually right after Christmas, some places a little earlier. In Thailand, however, you won't see a sea of pink and red until about a week before and really only in larger cities. Makes sense for them [particularly] since the holiday is only popular among a small age range. 

That is the short and sweet of it, folks.
In comparing how one country, Thailand, celebrates this holiday, do you have any traditions tied to Valentine's Day?



No comments:

Post a Comment