Saturday, April 27, 2013

Open The Book, Don't Judge



Grab a snack, I have a lot to say.

I was trying to find a less cliché title, but if it isn't broke, don't fix it right? Yes, we'll go with that.
I recently watched "Draw My Life" by Martina (Eat Your Kimchi). I found it to be an excellent reminder of two basic things, but first a little background info to begin.

I learned that Martina has a medical condition called EDS (Ehlers–Danlos syndrome), which translates to her joints being hypermobile, but not in a good way. She can dislocate joints easily, which she has done countless times and something I didn't expect is she is in pain pretty much all day every day.
This leads to my first point.




1. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Martina looks healthy on the outside, but clearly she is not physically okay on the inside. You never know what physical or mental pain, so to speak, someone could be facing especially if you can't see it physically on the outside.

Nobody likes the initial judgment, not you, not you with the pink hair or you in the back with your arms crossed. We all do it though, but even if you have an initial negative reaction you still have the choice to react positively and not negatively.

One of the jobs I have is a retail job so I have to interact with nearly everyone that comes in, have a conversation with them. For the most part the clientele, if you will, are nice folk but sometimes I do come across someone who is very much closed off or Senor Grumpy Pants. I always do my best to not take it personally and give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't know what happened to them earlier that day to make them grumpy, they could just have a lot on their mind.
Some of the best moments is when a customer tells me that my positive attitude made them smile or brightened their day.




1A. Treat others how you want to be treated.

This really ties in with my first point, but to make it easier (maybe?) let's call this point number 1A.
No matter how grumpy you are, do you really want to be treated with no respect, someone to treat you as equally grumpy or like they could care less about you? No you don't, I don't know why anyone would.
I know it can be tough sometimes, especially on a bad day, but treating those you interact with with respect can help create a wonderful positive domino effect.




2. Be happy with what you already have.

I very rarely have any "play" money or "fun" money and when I do it's usually enough to treat myself to my favorite ice cream, for example. Sometimes I do feel a little bummed that I am not able to purchase a shiny new toy (whatever that may be) even once a month, but it's really okay by the end of the day.

Why?

Because I am really lucky to at least have enough to eat, have a comfy roof over my head, clothes to mix and match and so on. I've learned to appreciate what I already have and my ability to be entertained by the smallest thing has been amplified, which I find fun. My hubby has become the same way and speaking of the hubby, he is pure entertainment for me, I don't need anything else. I love talking to him about anything and everything and he is one of the silliest people I know.

I think the shortest way to sum all of this is this:
Think positive. Be positive.



No comments:

Post a Comment