Friday, May 3, 2013

Escape Into Another Language


My following rambling on music and languages for that matter may come across as disjointed. If it does not, then great success!

When it comes to music, I really feel like I've gotten to the point that I dislike listening to English unless it's in the form of Jazz or Disney music. Okay, maybe dislike is too harsh, I just simply and largely prefer listening to Asian music over English.



It's an odd feeling really, I sometimes even feel a bit tired of speaking English and would rather speak Thai. Is that odd? The days I feel this, I feel (I need a new synonym...) particularly frustrated that I currently have too small a vocabulary to speak a simple conversation in Thai. I think I've just reached that comfort zone with Thai, likes it's a second home. Does that make sense?

According to the hubby, he doesn't really see me as "white" anymore, that I overall have mannerisms now more like a Thai lady. I hope that doesn't come across as seemingly racist on either end, it shouldn't. Anyhoodles. Recently even, the hubby says that my speech pattern is becoming more Thai. I am not surprised considering I'm with my wonderful hubby all the time. I've said it before, my native language is going down.



Back to more music aspects, unless the hubby is playing jazz, on my own 99.99% of the time I listen to Asian music.
What is it with me only wanting to listen to Asian music?
  • I think a part of it is I like the fact that I don't know what the singers are talking about, since I don't speak their language. I mostly listen to Korean, Japanese and Thai, although I can understand a bit of the Thai. Still, I like the mystery of not knowing what is being said.
  • I don't think it was ever obvious, but I'm Asian bias.
  • I just really like the change I think, since I grew up with American/English music of course.


What are you to gather from my rambling?

Simply I very much enjoy the Asian music/languages, it makes me a happy camper. It can easily turn any frown upside down.
And so I'm curious, what language really--in music form do you prefer to listen to? Is it your own mother tongue or something different?


You may also like :: Thai Music, Comforting A Void | Reverse Aging? | Playlist For The Sick
(Images: one - three, four)

No comments:

Post a Comment